Tuesday, March 01, 2011

February Artist of the Month
















For the month of February our featured Artist of the Month is also our President and fearless leader for 2011, Teresa Trubilla. Teresa's nature photography is incredible. It's hard to imagine the patience needed to get some of the spectacular images. So without further ado, here's Teresa's interview.

Question: Tell us a little bit about yourself, affiliations, personal stuff.
Teresa: I grew up in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, but moved to Florida over 25 years ago, shortly after marrying my wonderful husband, William Cawley. Bill has always been very supportive of my artistic efforts and together we have raised a kind and beautiful daughter, Kristina. The three of us share our Westchase home with an energetic Pomeranian named Buffy.
Question: Apart from creating art, what do you do?
Teresa: In addition to taking photographs, I love to read, to write, and to spend time with family and friends. I enjoy being outdoors and practicing yoga, but I am afraid I have not been doing much of that lately. I also work as a graphic designer handling advertising and marketing.

Question: What first made you want to become an artist?
Teresa: I fell in love with graphic design in college because it gave me an opportunity to work with words, space, and images on the printed page. While I dabbled in photography in high school and college, it was not until joining the Westchase Artists Society a few years ago that I found a creative voice for my love of nature. While growing up, my father taught me to appreciate the serenity that can be found in the woods and near water and that is something that I strive to share through my photography. I also find great joy in expressing myself through writing.

Question: Describe your creative process.
Teresa: Through my nature and landscape photography, I try to capture the clarity and simplicity I find outdoors and express the connection I feel with my subject... whether it is a flower or a bird or the mist rising off a pond. Taking wildlife photos is almost like meditation for me - it requires a patience that calms my mind and a stillness that nurtures my spirit.

Question: Top 5 books, movies, songs, groups, websites.
Teresa: Books -- I do not think there is a book that I ever "met" that I have not enjoyed. I just finished reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and "The Girl Who Played with Fire." I am looking forward to reading the final book in this series "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest." I especially love to read crime/suspense novels. Movies -- I guess my favorite movies would have to be "The Guardian" and "Steel Magnolias." Songs -- I love so many types of music that it would be impossible for me to pick just one song. Groups -- The Westchase Artists Society, of course! Website -- http://www.photoshopuser.com/ the official website for NAPP; The National Association of Professional Photoshop Users. I love working in Photoshop and the site provides so much informative material and is a great resource when I have questions.

Question: In 10 years I'd like to be...
Teresa: More of what I am doing now, just with better equipment :)

Thanks Teresa for a great interview! Check back next month for the next Westchase Artists Society Member of the Month interview.

No comments: